July Spotify Playlist



My bizarrely selected July playlist is definitely a musical representation of how haphazard July was for me. Before I begin I'll ask that you please refrain from judging me for some of my music choices because I, too, am slightly ashamed of myself for *cough* Kanye *cough* Fetty Wap *cough* Bieber *cough* Die Antwoord *cough*. I won't, however, bother justifying my choices because I honestly wouldn't know where to begin justifying why I've listened to Kanye and Die Antwoord, haha.

In the order of addition:
  • Skrillex ft. Justin Bieber - Where Are U Now
  • Fetty Wap - Trap Queen
  • Major Lazor - Lean On
  • Little Comets - Bayonne
  • Daryl Hall and John Oates - You Make My Dreams
  • Cage The Elephant - Ain't No Rest For The Wicked
  • Die Antwoord - Enter The Ninja 
  • Rhianna - FourFiveSeconds
  • Kanye West - Bound 2
  • Cage The Elephant - Cigarette Daydreams
  • Cage The Elephant - Shake Me Down
  • Vance Joy - Georgia 
  • Twenty One Pilots - Stressed Out
  • Passion Pit - All I Want

I commend Spotify for their brilliant recommendations to listen to Cage The Elephant, Twenty One Pilots, and two songs by Vance Joy and Passion Pit that I was oblivious to. As you can tell, I began to adore Cage The Elephant a lot more towards the end of the month. Shake Me Down, in my opinion, is a remarkable song. It powerfully begins with, "in my life I have seen people walk into the sea ... with their eyes cast down, fixed upon the ground, with their eyes cast down. I'LL KEEP MY EYES FIXED ON THE SUN". Then, it ends beautifully with a repetition of "even on a cloudy day [repeated 7-ish times] ... I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun". Damn right you will. I love any song that even remotely mentions the sea, and/or vaguely resonates a Modest Mouse's Float On kind-of vibe.
Sadly, unlike Cage The Elephant, I didn't really connect with any other songs by Twenty One Pilots, but I reckon that my obsession with Stressed Out is on the same wavelength as it is for Shake Me Down, if not more. I'm not entirely sure why; perhaps it is because the essence of the song is about nostalgia for younger days, and I'm less than a month away from entering my 20s! Ah. Make it stop.

...And, before I lament about growing old, I'll sign off this post.

Stay groovy, kids.
Ang x

No comments